Act Like A Man, Dammit!

February 25, 2010

Disclaimer: I apologize to the ex(es) that might be reading this, because you will probably feel offended by what I have to say.

Whenever I decide to start dating again, the (lucky) guy will definitely have to have a strong personality. It’s not that I haven’t dated guys with strong personalities; it’s just that my personality was stronger than theirs and I eventually started to feel like I was using them. When you start feeling like you’re using someone, you should end the relationship immediately. I’m definitely not a user so it just got very uncomfortable for me when I would call a guy at 4am because I didn’t feel like doing something myself and he would drive for almost an hour to do it for me. Yea, sure, sounds like the ideal situation, right? Yea, at first it does sound awesome; who wouldn’t want a guy that is always there to save her? But trust me, you don’t want to have that happen ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!

I want a guy that will “put me in my place;” and not in a 1926 (a woman should be seen and not heard) kind of way. He doesn’t need to be in charge all the time, but he should definitely be able to take charge when necessary and say, “Okay, you need to sit down and chill for a while.” That’s the kind of guy that I would be able to respect in a relationship. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking for an asshole or anything like that; he definitely needs to be a gentleman who dares to defy the belief that chivalry is dead, but it would be great if he knew how to balance our roles in the relationship.

I’m the type of person that likes to push buttons and see how much I can get away with. If I’m allowed to do it, I will continue to see how far I can go before I get bored with constantly hearing “Sure!” And “Yes.”
So basically, I’m looking for a man’s man!

Am I asking for too much? Do I just need to work on my personality or am I being reasonable?

P.S. All you men’s men, where are you?

1. February 25, 2010 2:46 PM

A to the motherfreaking MEN! I think guys should make the first move; if you like someone let them know you are interested, don't let a good thing pass you by.

2. February 25, 2010 2:52 PM

I really do agree with you. One shouldn't be too forthcoming with it but at least make it known that you're interested.

3. February 28, 2010 7:06 AM

u definitely need to work on ur personality first and then u will be able to figure out if u re being reasonable or not.wt do u expect?u call up a guy at 4am.he will definitely be scared at first.If u re in a relationship & he really is into u,why won't he drive 4 almost an hour to see if u re fine?d truth is,we re taken 4 granted most times!

4. February 28, 2010 9:17 AM

But wouldn't you feel the same way if you had a girlfriend that was always there ALL THE TIME and she never said no?? Wouldn't you get bored of her?I don't think it's fair that all my guy friends can say the same thing and they're "being reasonable" but then when I say it, I'm being unfair. You're not the first guy that's said that about this post.

5. March 9, 2010 2:33 PM

I'm a button pusher too, especially at the beginning of the "getting to know you" phase because I want to see how into me the guy actually is (I'm probably misguided but I figure if he's willing to do whatever I say, he really likes me. He could just be a pushover who would do anything anyone says and who would end up annoying me like the guys you've dated in the past!).I don't think you're asking for too much (if a man's man is your type, then he's your type!) and you'll definitely know a guy who can say "no" when you see him. Maybe it's a confidence, experience or maturity thing on the part of the guy too: guys who know who they are will have stronger convictions on a bunch of things, including how to have balance in a relationship…or maybe this is wishful thinking on my part…

6. March 14, 2010 9:47 AM

@GNG Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. I got so many phone calls from guys, telling me that I was being an a-hole by making this post.