Insomnia! Some of you might laugh at this.

April 5, 2009

I remember when I was younger and every Saturday night, experiencing Club Insomnia. After our parents had left for whatever birthday party, wedding, etc. was going on that night, my cousins and I would get up from bed, turn the stereo on full blast, and create our own clubbing experience–or at least what we imagined the experience to be.

We called it Club Insomnia.

We kids really knew how to have fun back then. We would even create our own mocktails (future alcoholics of America) and we would set up imaginary roles for each other; whether I was a heiress from some faraway country and I chose Insomnia as my crashing spot, or my cousin was a world famous DJ who was entirely too full of himself. We created memories that have taught me that sometimes all you have to do is turn off the lights, turn up the stereo, scream, “INSOMNIA,” and just dance like there was no tomorrow!

Insomnia allowed us to do whatever we wanted to do. For hours and hours we would celebrate in our own innocent ways, what we imagined adulthood to be. Because the lights were always off, we all secretly used this time to practice our “grown up dances….” which would eventually come in handy when we were finally old enough to dance in real clubs. If only we knew then, thought, that there is no need to grow up too quickly, that childhood is a much more simple experience that we must never forgo.

The whir of the garage door opening marked the end of our night and signaled our parents’ return. Sore and breathless, we would run back to our beds to pretend as though we had been sleeping for hours. Our only tell, though, was the sweat on our faces and the sweet smell of ginger ale and juice that escaped with each breath we took through smiling lips.

For some reason this memory came up today. Perhaps it’s my inner child reminding me that once in a while I just have to turn off the lights and dance out the stresses of my life.

1. April 5, 2009 11:45 AM

Yaaay! I’m the first to comment! And I’m totally loving the new design . . . Rhea9914 all revamped and ready to take over :pLOLOLOLOL @ Insomnia – erm, I never knew it was that serious . . . . I did experience it once, but you guys didn’t go all out like you describe here. LoL.I miss childhood. I really do. Growing up sucks plenty.

2. April 5, 2009 2:25 PM

LOL @ Club Insomnia.. very inventive kids u were! Nice template BTW…

3. April 5, 2009 2:42 PM

AWWW Katherinee. club insomnia….club insomnia……thats for sure

4. April 6, 2009 1:35 PM

1. love the new template2. if you like, you can abandon this blog too and show up like once every millenia3. Every creative child had their own place that they created. I used to enact feature length movies that i had written. some even had sequels…

5. April 30, 2009 11:10 PM

ah i remember when i was younger, my sister and my cousin usually had their own version of club insonmia. They usually did not allow me join in until i caught them drinking a bottle of capel wine (fake wine more like juice) one night. I threatened to report them to my parents so they let me in one time. Unfortunately my dad found out about the missing wine and lets just saw we got some whopping…still can’t believe we were called alcoholics for capel wine…anyway, the night was worth it.

6. November 24, 2009 2:55 PM

whoa…this brings back memories…although i think when we danced, we kinda looked like we were having seizures…we sucked alright.