Confessions of an Accesory-holic

February 7, 2008

Hello, my name is Rayo and I’m an accessory-holic. (This is the part where you guys say, “Hi Rayo!)

Now, imagine walking down the street, you’re happy…smiling even…and all of a sudden a flash of light and color catches your eye. You look and can’t believe what your eyes are seeing. It’s a girl walking down the street…she has about 20 bangles on each arm, a ring on every finger, about 5 different necklaces around her neck, 2 dangling earrings on each ear, a handbag as well as a clutch, and to top it off, a million hair accessories hanging on top of her head….

….

You can stop holding your breath now, the girl isn’t me. I’m not that tacky

But on the other hand, somebody better stop that girl and tell her that she looks ridiculous.

Now, back to me. As I was saying, I am an accessory-holic.

Like most females, I looooove purses and shoes and jewelry. But the day I found myself going into my favorite purse shop and the Asian lady said hello to me and then said my name–with the Yoruba accent and everything–I knew I had taken it too far.

You see, it all started when I was running some errands and I came upon a strip of shops that specialized in accessories at low prices. I, being the irrational spender that I am, went inside and bought about 5 bags (bags are my passion). I was so shocked by the total amount of the purchase that I promised to always come back to the shop…and I never broke that promise.

Soon, bags became bags and shoes and then bags and shoes and earrings and then bags and shoes and earrings and scarves. And with every paycheck came a trip to the accessories shop…And then on the aforementioned day of realization, I caught myself walking out of the store, smiling…and carrying a bag of sunglasses and perfume.

I stopped smiling and almost started crying. I had bought enough Burberry London and Red Door to last me a year. I told myself I had to stop, that I was wasting my money on accessories when I could be buying perfectly good clothes and books.

And that was the day I stopped being an accessory-holic…

…..

And became a regular old shopaholic.

1. February 7, 2008 1:50 PM

I remember the good ole days of freshman year when I used to steal your perfumes…and then u moved out. Dang it!!!!!!I’ll be back.

2. February 7, 2008 5:21 PM

Lolll…I lurveeeeee accessories. With the right accessories u become a fashionista. Well-designed bags are to die for…but yeah, they can chop ur money!!!Ahhh, but I loveeeeeeee earrings o. I just prevent myself from going to the mall often, cos when I go I buy! Lol.

3. February 7, 2008 5:59 PM

There is accessorised beauty on a lady, and then there is clutter!! The missus is Sri Lankan, and when she dresses up with all the finery, it’s all relevant. The same applies to most women. Then you have those who just ‘chav’ themselves out. Eru baban’la nonsense is that one?? 🙂

4. February 7, 2008 6:47 PM

lmao!!! you just got me wif the first paragraph…that was good. Next time u go shopping remember ur boi. i will send you my sizes!!

5. February 8, 2008 5:54 AM

from accessory-holic to shopaholic!LAWLLLLLL!

6. February 8, 2008 7:00 AM

oh wait up, i know say na yorself you de describe with the many bangles and all… no worry, no make shame catch you. you know you can tell me, i be your paddy paddy….lol…. come, you be thief oh, you steal road sign, street name… omo you no de shame ni… kai…lol… so hold up, for your life, na the only thing you don thief b4 be that sign.,.. omo you de try oh… me i no even fit mention the many money wey i don borrow from my parents wallet sef… lol… nice one

7. February 8, 2008 7:19 AM

can i let u know my shoe size?*wink**wink*

8. February 8, 2008 7:29 AM

Maybe, you should let some Arabian pimps muddle you? Abi, you no wan tell us who dat girl be?

9. February 8, 2008 11:58 AM

U learnt your lesson

10. February 8, 2008 4:41 PM

that’s it! I am coming to raid ur closet, and liberate those wonderful bags!!!

11. February 8, 2008 6:39 PM

LOL! i know a good place to rid yourself of those accesory demons..MY closet! you can stash them here for a while,you know,take as much time as you need, i understand if you dont want them back ok? just giv me everything, you need time off.

12. February 9, 2008 10:16 AM

lmfao…so you’re now just a shopaholic?…i think it may be worse;)…

13. February 9, 2008 11:28 AM

lmao @ the asian lady saying ur name with a yoruba accent……lol girl ur a trip. I’m surprised all u had to do was say the words and you stopped.I’ve told myself i should stop several times and it never worked.I buy bags and shoes every week and i don’t even use them most of the time. I need help!

14. February 10, 2008 11:31 AM

If u love purses, more power to u, it like my love for boks and writing and coins and stamps. and thanks for the prayers hon

15. February 10, 2008 11:44 AM

@Catwalq-OLE!!! THIEF!!!! Lol…those were the good old days though.@Jaycee-They definitely can shop ur money..and with all these new bags coming out every day, it makes it really hard to not stay broke@Aworan-lmao!! Aren’t the Beckhams chavs?Incog-I’m still waiting oo…you haven’t sent them yet@Darkelcee- Yup!@Anu-Anu, I refuse to incriminate myself by answering your question. Therefore, I plead the fifth! As for your crimes, I’m telling oo!!@ibiluv-lmao!! Sure, what do you want?……..SIKE!!@Onyeka-Lol…I’ve always dreamed of having an Indian boyfriend…but definitely not an Arabian pimp.@Olamild-Did I though? Because I just went shopping yesterday and bought a whole bunch of jewelry.@Bumight-You have to find out where I live first and then where my closet is located.@LittleMM-Hahaha…thank you so much for your concern and kind offer, I’ll definitely consider taking you off on it.@Guerreira-It could be worse, I could be a kleptomaniac ;)@DL-Doesn’t that always suck? Do you ever feel guilty when you get home after buying a whole bunch of stuff that you know you’re prolly never gonna use?

16. February 10, 2008 11:48 AM

@Torrance-I love books and stamps and coins too…it’s just that I focus on one addiction at a time. And that’s how I manage to retain my sanity. There was a time when I would buy like 5 books every week.

17. February 10, 2008 1:41 PM

lol @ changing from accessory-holic (almost biting my tongue here) to shopaholic (which I am more familiar with…)…Would love to raid your room love…I try not to go to the shops ..my own problem is I buy then see something else I want …come back next day buy it and while there see something else…u get the picture…so the trick is not going in the first place!!!

18. February 10, 2008 10:34 PM

i shall not send the sizes in vain. lmao

19. February 10, 2008 11:24 PM

@Afrobabe-So it happens to you too? I swear it’s a disease…like a special form of ADD…you go in for one thing and leave with 10…then come back for 20 more. I try not to go in the first place but I’m always driving past the place and I swear I hear the little Asian lady’s voice cajoling me to come on in.@Incog-Oic…then don’t bother sending them again. lol

20. February 10, 2008 11:37 PM

*sulking*

21. February 11, 2008 12:08 AM

Aww…don’t sulk now…I’m sure you can afford your own accessories

22. February 11, 2008 12:37 PM

Burberry London is the *ish. Also, have you ever tried Armani Code? iLove it more

23. February 11, 2008 1:41 PM

Rayo is a fellow shopaholic? Excellent! When are we going on a shopping spree? You’re spending of course! lol!!!!

24. February 12, 2008 11:09 AM

-@Neef-actually tried it and loved it…but I guess I’ll have to wait until the others are done before I invest in new ones.@Solomonsydelle-Just name the date, location, and time and I’ll be there…with the exception of me spending. lol

25. February 12, 2008 12:11 PM

i tot i was the only one who loved acessories more than any other thing…i could have an orgasm in an acessory store..

26. February 13, 2008 6:16 AM

hehehe.4 a moment i thot u wer the gal wit all them assesories.

27. February 13, 2008 7:07 PM

lol!abeg give me the name and address of the place, so that when i get back home, i can head over there… i love me some bags/shoes/sunglasses/clothes/jewellry……..

28. February 14, 2008 8:09 AM

@Anon Gal-God forbid!@Honeywell-Are you from the DMV area?

29. February 14, 2008 11:36 AM

Clothes aint ‘good’without accesories babe.- a fellow accesories freak talking,lol!

30. February 17, 2008 3:33 PM

Wooohooo! I shall be visiting you to pick one or two bags 🙂