My Excessive Use of the Contagious …(Ellipses)

January 28, 2008

Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from Greek ἔλλειψις ‘omission’) in printing and writing refers to the row of three full stops (… or . . . ) or asterisks (***) indicating an intentional omission. This punctuation mark is also called a suspension point, points of ellipsis, periods of ellipsis, or colloquially, dot-dot-dot. An ellipsis is sometimes used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis).
–Wikipedia

I don’t remember who it was, but I do know that I started using the ellipsis because somebody around me kept using it. Now I can’t stop using it. Whenever I don’t know whether to use a comma or semicolon or some other punctuation mark, I just use the ellipsis. I really do want to stop…if my third grade teacher could see the way I write now she would cringe. My goal now is to get as many people as possible hooked on the thing.

…How many of you think you can fight it?

1. January 29, 2008 12:58 AM

I can’t escape my excessive use of the ellipsis in emails and on chat. I’m a complete addict! Sometimes it slips into my typing at work; I have to totally watch it.I find blogging and chatting have ruined me when it comes to writing properly. It’s a struggle to write right 🙂

2. January 29, 2008 7:53 AM

RAYO….i am the number one user of that ellipsis, in everything i write i must put it…lol…nice one, meanwhile, where is my cold water, i hope you know its getting really hot down here and i need to slow things down and fast…holla

3. January 29, 2008 7:58 AM

oh my word…na wa o…

4. January 29, 2008 1:18 PM

Lol . . . . certainly not me! I hope you didn’t get it from me though :$

5. January 29, 2008 2:24 PM

I’m already hooked on the “ellipsis”…can’t stop. Lolll…I was laughing while reading this cos it’s as if u’re writing abt me. Ha ha ha.You typed dot-dot-dot after saying, “I really do want to stop…” Lol. So much for stopping!

6. January 29, 2008 4:08 PM

@Jummy-It’s so ridiculous. Because of the ellipsis, I now overuse commas@Anu darling-lol you’re silly. You never sent me your address so I couldn’t mail you the cold water. But don’t fret; next time you hear someone say “omi tutu re,” tell them I sent you. They will have your package.@Jinta-I see you’ve fallen victim@My Favorite Azumi-I actually got it from ex bastard@Jaycee-I tried though, didn’t I…I only used it once in the post. lol

7. January 29, 2008 9:41 PM

sounds like heiron. so u addicted. LOL

8. January 29, 2008 10:28 PM

I guess I am…

9. January 30, 2008 12:10 AM

OMG! These 3 little dots are quite addicting. I admit I use them quite frequrntly, especially when chatting. LOL Never knew there was a name for it, though. LOL

10. January 30, 2008 12:59 AM

i am a victim to that 2..as u can see from my blog…http://needlesandpin.blogspot.com/

11. January 30, 2008 2:33 AM

I am staring at ur post and tinking ‘Uhh…wat a big word” Really educational, i feel like i can take ova d world lol!!! 1st time here. will visit

12. January 30, 2008 4:55 AM

Hahahaha…I use the ellipses subconsciously! It, just happens and I can’t help it!Like Jummy says, it occurs more often in my IMs and e-mails and of course, blog posts and comments!

13. January 30, 2008 7:25 AM

hahahaha.. same here… i’m so used to it.. omg.. make me stop.. arghh i wont stop typing until i stop it.yay..lol

14. January 30, 2008 8:06 AM

I also have the ellipses fever lol!Funny… how that thing just take over at times!

15. January 30, 2008 8:34 AM

ELLIPSES! lol the things u learn err’ day… I’m guilty too 😦

16. January 30, 2008 9:21 AM

……. need i say more?;)

17. January 30, 2008 2:35 PM

I didnt even know it had a name…just found myself using it all over…silly really but one can’t help it…

18. January 31, 2008 12:25 PM

just like most other people, i am already hooked. i actually thot abt my frequent use of it and i tried to curtail it for a min but it did not work so i just left it alone… i mean, its like crack o! sha, the next thing will be to actually use it in a speech, it will sound a lil’ smthn like this… ” as i researched this topic, it was interesting to see the increase in the use of ICUs dot dot dot anyways, moving on dot dot dot”

19. January 31, 2008 12:44 PM

LMAO!! That would be like when people say “lawl” (lol) when talking. Now I actually want to hear somebody do it. “So we went to the mall and I was completely speechless when I saw him dot dot dot so I turned around and walked away.”I would slap the individual. lawl!

20. January 31, 2008 10:33 PM

i think i win…*clears throat and steps aside so folks can see her blog with ellipses proudly on display*…

21. February 1, 2008 10:07 AM

Wow….wow….I bow down to you for you are the ellipsis queen…Once again…wow!