The Joys of Liquid Nitrogen

January 16, 2008
I remember one time at my old job at the cancer research center, I went down with my boss to the storage room where the liquid nitrogen storage devices kept our oncological samples fresh until we needed them, (here’s an ode to those poor sacrificed animals). The rule was that, in order to retrieve the samples from the storage devices we had to wear these huge blue gloves that would keep our hands from turning into an ice block.

Now, my very absent-minded boss, as usual, forgot to put on his gloves. And I watched in horror as everything just went into slow motion and I lunged forward to stop him [think: “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO”]…

But, alas, it was too late for him. He had already put his hand in the kini. And if you saw what I saw after this, then you would know that there truly is a God and sometimes he laughs at us.

He was beyond words, not even sound. And thank God he wasn’t one to panic because if he had panicked and shook his hand, then I would have just gently picked up the frozen pieces of hand; put them onto petri dishes; and written them off as samples for future experiments.

I was in so much shock that I didn’t know what to do for like 3 minutes. We both just stood there, he with his frozen hand in his other hand, and stared at each other. Then reality struck and I slowly “rushed” him up to the lab where we had to wrap his hand in a towel and walk him to the hospital (thank God the hospital is next door).

It was HOURS before his hand went back to “normal.” Even after that though, his hand remained white-gray for almost a year. I’m just glad that he didn’t shake his hand because if he had, that would have been the end of it.

Matter of fact, I need to call him and say hello; remind him of the day that his chronic absent-mindedness almost amputated his hand.

Powered by ScribeFire.

1. January 16, 2008 6:44 PM

Dang!!!Na real wah

2. January 17, 2008 6:53 AM

Waoh!Narrow!!Thank God for ur boss o!

3. January 17, 2008 2:40 PM

Scary ish! Eerrm, sounds lame, but I dunno much about that chemical, but I’d find out.Thx for stopping by! I’m doing good. I’ve been to NY since I returned, but I haven’t gotten around to leave footprints! :)Good to have you on this side of the new year. Hola @ u soon

4. January 17, 2008 8:25 PM

Whoa…very scary.I have naturally delayed reaction times…but I’m sure I would have shaken my hand and that would have been that!

5. January 18, 2008 2:14 AM

damn thats some scientific chemicallaboratory type shizz but I got use for that sorta stuffmember to call your x boss and tell him to get me some of the shizz but to wear some gloves this time

6. January 18, 2008 4:03 AM

eh ya. i hope he ddnt blame u 4 ‘not reminding him in time’. bosses can b real funny at times.

7. January 18, 2008 9:44 AM

@ Yosh-Yea, the place has been kinda dead recently but hopefully more regulars will start coming.@ Jummy-lmao!! me tooo.@ DOG-I’m not even going to ask you why you need it. I’m scared that if I do the FBI might come knocking at my door asking if I know you.@FOFF-He didn’t dare try it. I think he was just in too much shock to remember anything other than the fact that HE forgot to wear the gloves.

8. January 18, 2008 11:05 AM

omg! heard of that chemical but did not know it was that potent! had he been nasty to you, you would have been tempted to smack his hand at that point: were you tempted? lol

9. January 18, 2008 12:28 PM

Oh I was extremely tempted to point and laugh at him. He was always the one nagging me about my forgetfulness…at least I didn’t try to kill myself due to my forgetfulness.

10. January 18, 2008 1:09 PM

oh my…. thats is crazy mehn, so you mean his hands froze… dalm, that would have been a cool sight….anyways, thank God he is ok…errrrmmmm, can we have some of that stuff… uhmm….

11. January 18, 2008 1:59 PM

@ Anu-You are now the second person requesting this substance…hmm I need to make a post about this.

12. January 20, 2008 12:48 AM

wow!! Na God save am o. the one i heard about was a guy who got his hand ground in a mincing machine…you still wanna eat meatpie? he he he!

13. January 20, 2008 12:23 PM

Incog, not only do I still want to eat meatpie, I want to eat some right NOW! lol

14. January 20, 2008 4:49 PM

you nasty!!! lmao!!

15. January 30, 2008 2:40 PM

ok, this is where the request for the stuff must have come from…lol